Central Six Sponsors First IT Apprenticeship Employer Signing Day
For the first time ever, a federally-recognized IT apprenticeship consortium has been formed in Alabama through a partnership between Central Six AlabamaWorks and Innovate Birmingham. This apprenticeship program is intended to help meet the workforce needs of software developers.
Two companies, Sigao Studios and Protective Life, formally signed letters of intent to employ apprentices after they complete the 14-week pre-apprenticeship bootcamp course at Innovate Birmingham. Those selected as apprentices will begin work with one of the two companies in the fall.
Watch here as Ben Podbielski from Protective Life shares his thoughts about the program.
If you are an IT employer in the region and would like to learn more, then please contact Kristen Holder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jefferson County Students Sign Letters of Intent with Companies and Colleges
More than 60 students from Jefferson Co. signed letters of intent with either local businesses or colleges to start the next phase of their lives during a recent signing day. It was held at the Alabama Workforce Training Center, home of Central Six AlabamaWorks.
The program is part of High School Ready-to-Work, in partnership between Central Six and The Onin Group.
Watch coverage here.
Inaugural West AlabamaWorks Career Tech Signing Day Honors 85 Students
Eighty-five local high school seniors were honored at the first-ever West Alabama Regional Signing Day Honoring Career Technical Education Thurs., May 2, at the Tuscaloosa Career and Technology Academy.
Companies giving apprenticeship and contingent job offers included Mercedes-Benz U.S. International, Phifer Incorporated, DCH Health System, Brose, ZF Chassis Systems, Tuscaloosa Joint Apprenticeship Commission Local 372, Alabama Pipe Welders, Aramark, ARD Logistics, Brion Hardin Construction, LAVENDER, INC. and Peco Foods.
Prisoner Re-entry Program Hires First Employee
Aformer inmate has received a job thanks to the training and pipeline created by the Prison Re-entry Program of West Alabama, a partnership among West Alabama Works, Lifelink, LLC, the Alabama Department of Corrections and West Alabama employers.
The PREP program combines Ready-to-Work, a five-week course in interview and soft skills offered at Shelton State Community College and other community colleges in Alabama, with CORE, a character development program facilitated by LifeLink LLC. Inmates are selected for the program based on behavior and sentence length.
Read more here.
Employment Rate Soars Again
For the fourth month in a row, more people are working in Alabama now than ever before. In April, preliminary estimates account for 2,139,379 people working, up by 32,335 from the same time a year ago, and up 6,739 from March.
“Employment has once again reached record levels,” said Secretary of Labor Fitzgerald Washington. “Our economy is supporting more jobs than ever before and more people are in the labor force than ever before. Those that are entering the labor force are finding work. The jobs are out there, and we’re working harder than even before to make sure that everyone who wants a job, has one.”
Read more here.
FROM THE REGIONS
- Auto supplier DaikyoNishikawa to Invest $110 Million in Alabama for First U.S. facility. Alabama Newscenter
- YKTA to Create 650 Jobs with $220 Million Investment. Made in Alabama
- Alabama’s Redstone Arsenal on the Short List for Home of the U.S. Space Command. AL.com
- Local Support Leads to New NACC Commercial Driver’s License Program and Donated Truck. Northeast Alabama Community College
- Three Phil Campbell Seniors Sign Letters of Intent with G&G Steel for Post-High School Careers. Franklin Free Press
- Boeing, Alabama Community College System and NextFlex Team Get Creative to Fill Jobs. Rocket City Now
- Calhoun Community College Students Win State Manufacturing Competition. Decatur Daily
Tickets Available for Talent Conference
Looking for ways to recruit new employees? Need tips on retaining your workforce? West AlabamaWorks’ and the Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama’s first-ever Talent Conference will cover these issues and more. Featuring Keynote Speaker and America’s Millenial Expert Gabrielle Bosché, we will delve into key issues in our region’s workforce and generational work culture. Details here.
- Mercedes Benz Alabama Plant May Switch Production from Sedans to SUVs and Light Trucks. AL.com
- Jeff State Apprenticeship Program Preps Students for Crafts. Alabama NewsCenter
- Hyundai, Gov. Ivey and Officials Celebrate Grand Opening of Montgomery Plant. Yellowhammer News
- Three Elmore County Technical Center Students Recognized During Skills USA Signing Day. My River Region
- Craig Field Hosts Mobile Workforce Training Unit Dedicated to Helping Workers Seeking Entry-Level Positions. The Selma Times Journal
- Gov. Ivey Announces ALDOT’s Selection of Autauga and Cherokee County Projects as Part of the Rebuild Alabama First Year Plan. Office of the Governor
- Chambers County Career Technical Center Showcases How Students Can Earn College Credit and Professional Certification. The Times-News
- Former Montgomery Elementary School Transformed into Job Training Center. Montgomery Advertiser
- Wallace State Community College and Alabama State University Sign Deal to Simplify Student Transfer Process. Montgomery Advertiser
Region Launches First Healthcare Cluster
In response to business and community needs, Southeast AlabamaWorks held its first healthcare-focused cluster meeting.
Read more at WTVY.
- Butler County Forest Workforce Training Institute Creates Plan to IncreaseNumbers of Younger, Certified Loggers. The Greenville Advocate
- Lockheed Martin Breaks Ground on New Facility Expansion in Pike County. Dothan Eagle
- Charles Henderson High School in Troy Will Host Training for Out-of-School Youth. Troy Messenger
- Houston County Career Academy Hosts Signing Day. WTVY
- New Program at Enterprise State Community College to Train Technical Workforce. WTVY
- Alabama Power Partners with Bishop State Community College to Offer Lineman Training Program. Bishop State
- Company Expansion to Bring New Jobs to Foley. AL.com
- Georgia-Pacific invests $120 million in Choctaw County Mill. Alabama Newscenter
- Airbus Launches Workforce Development Programs for Students. Made In Alabama
- Mobile-Based Bay Steel Corp. to Relocate, Expand. AL.com
- Baldwin County Seniors Sign Letters of Intent for Aviation Apprenticeships. AL.com
- Bevill State Community College Begins Truck Driver Program at Hamilton Campus. Daily Mountain Eagle
- WISE Program Provides Skills Training at No Cost. MMCCDC
AlabamaWorks is a network of interconnected providers of workforce services, including all of the governmental, educational and private-sector components that train, prepare and match job seekers with employers.